Thursday, October 4, 2012

Audio Processing Disorder - Don't get it

Here's what I do not understand about many families whom have children with APD, Social Processing Disorders, &  Sensory Processing disorders (they often come together)...why does it seem public school is their only option?!
I'm on several support boards to learn more and get support for Charlie Brown's APD and I see this often and some days I want to just scream "WHY?! Why do you torture yourself and your children"? They are often so upset because they've been working for months with the teachers, staff, and counselors with no results. Their children are inhibited and frustrated because of the noise, and the fact their children hear the charlie brown teacher and nothing else but static. The schools aren't doing anything. These mothers spend an extensive amount of time meeting with teachers and counselors before school even begins in IEP meetings creating a 504 plan but often the school doesn't have the resources to properly follow this plan in the way it was originally intended to be followed. They purchase expensive FM systems for their children to wear in class which is like headphones that cancel out classroom noise and only pick up the teacher's voice..but if they are not used properly they still hear the Charlie Brown teacher..or they only halfway hear her.
Many of these children have to learn to read lips in order to tell what ppl are saying especially in a noisy environment.
I only slightly remember these frustrations because MY Charlie Brown spent only most of one year in public school, and my guy doesn't have these Disorders as much as many children do. He's a slight case compared to many I see or hear of. Had he been a more serious case I CANNOT imagine what that horrible school would have put me through. What we went through was PLENTY to drive me from public school ever again.
Which brings me back to my original topic...Why are we fooled into believing that strangers do a better job of teaching our children? Why do we think we HAVE to send them to public school nomatter what they go through there. Why do we struggle so hard to advocate our children but state we don't have the patience to teach them?
I just don't get it.

I want to clarify that I never want someone to feel like I'm pressuring them to homeschool just because I do. It's an intensely personal decision and one NOONE should pressure you into. It's a commitment, and it's hard. I know this. You don't have to do it because we do, and I don't think you are any less for not doing it. I don't.

I just don't know why more ppl who aren't getting results in the public school system will not even consider homeschool.
It's proven that homeschool kids with these disorders do SO much better at home academically. They have a quiet, calm environment with a patient teacher who will focus on them. They thrive.

Take back your family! If your child isn't thriving, consider other options. WE are in charge of our families, our children. NOONE should make us feel like we have to do one thing or another because it is the "norm". There are always options.

No comments:

Post a Comment