Friday, November 9, 2012

Adoption Home Study

To be certified with CPS in Texas we only had to have one home study and it lasted about 3-4 hours. In the ICW (Indian Child Welfare) we have to have THREE. I find it a lil silly spreading it out because I feel it just takes more time than necessary but it is what it is.
This time he gave us paperwork to complete that was either missing from the file or was newly required for us to sign and next time he'll do our family histories and our parent's personalities. That one should be fun, *sarcasm*.
We also had to write a letter to the Birth Parents, which we are not going for infant adoption but I think they get this just in case. I'd be thrilled to get an infant, but I just don't think it will happen.
We also learned a lil more about how they have ICW set up, funny how you only hear certain things the further you get into the process. Like ICW is set up where they have separate departments for EVERYTHING. We have our paperwork worker (Ms R) who got us our training and all our initial paperwork, then we have our Home study Worker (Mr L), who will find out all about us and submit all his findings to his supervisor who is actually the one that will put us "online". After we're online we'll have
Placement (Not known yet) who will actually be the ones to match us up with children. Once we have child(ren) in home we will then get a Case Worker (unknown), who will do our monthly visits to ensure child's safety and recommend adoption to court, we may even have a court worker who will complete the process with us.
No wonder there are mistakes made sometimes, with paperwork getting passes around, parent's never getting the opportunity to get to know their workers, and workers never really getting to know us there are so many things that could go wrong. It's a bit nerve wracking I must admit, knowing we'll have to stay on our toes, listen carefully, and Cover our tracks in every. little. step. It's a bit daunting.
But, so is pregnancy and all the problems that can arise. King Fu Roo was supposed to have down syndrome until I was 8 months pregnant with him and he's completely worth the trials we faced while pregnant. So will be our future child(ren).

I am thinking and praying about how to get the word out more on children in our foster system. There are so many wonderful ppl whom raise funds and awareness for children in third world countries but I find very little in our own. Our own children is where we feel led to call attention too, and I know they need it. I'm just not sure exactly how to do it. I'm asking around and trying to get information so hopefully God will provide a perfect way for me to use the gifts he's given me for this purpose.
I open my arms and say "I am willing Lord, tell me what to do".

No comments:

Post a Comment