Friday, December 7, 2012

A Hateful Holiday?!

Ok I'm going to say it, and I'm sorry to whomever I might offend with this statement but think about it, cuz its the truth. Tulsa is not the most friendly place. Ppl here are very into their own families and groups and find it difficult to add new ones to their circles. Not as unfriendly as West Texas, don't get me wrong...that place can be downright hateful.
Still, I have noticed that since thanksgiving ppl are extra mean, especially while in the safety of their own cars. In the past three days we've gotten yelled at by a fedex driver who thought the boys ran behind his parked truck (they did not, we came up from beside it), flipped off for slowing down on an off ramp, tailgaited WAY too closely numerous times because we are driving too slow, and been passed aggressively. These are just the times I can think of.
Well, I'm trying this new thing see...I'm trying not to let my mouth or feisty attitude get in my way or out of hand. I'm asking myself "is this loving, helpful, or necessary" before I say things to others. If it is not, it stays to myself. Now, I'm not great at it yet but I have made progress. This new attempt, it has me doing something surprising. Instead of reacting, I find myself looking at them. I mean REALLY looking at their faces and not in an aggressive way, in an inquisitive way. I find myself thinking towards each...why are you so upset? Why are you angry? Is it really me turning instead of going straight? Or is it something else?

And you know what? In each and every one of them it's always always something else. Their stressed and angry faces stick even once they've passed me. Even once I'm no longer in the area or the object of anger things don't change.

And I can't help but think that it's because of what the holiday has become that makes ppl so upset. Because it's not just anger on their faces. It's the unmistakable look of disappointment, and even pain. A pain that makes me think they don't feel adequate.
Now, what around the holidays would make ppl feel angry, disappointed, and inadequate?
Think about it.

Could it be???




We have allowed big department stores and TV to tell us that unless they have all these THINGS, they deserve better. That these things are what makes us happy, what causes us to actually HAVE A GOOD CHRISTMAS. 
A good Christmas and good memories is all based on things and how many we have. 
HERESY and FOOLERY!

So I leave you with these simple questions.
In 6 months, in 2 years, or at the end of our lives... will those boxes under the tree or what is in them REALLY matter? 
Where is your life? Where is your focus? What is important to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment