Monday, July 16, 2012

America's sad view of friendship


I'm reading this book http://karenlebillon.com/books/ about the french diet and how they eat. I'm trying to change our views on food. I'd really like us not to be so emotionally attached and also learn to love real food more than process plastic food. So I thought this might be helpful. I have other booked I'm reading like "Made to Crave, by Lysa Terkhurst". 


While there's good and bad, and even annoying in the book (french can be pretty snotty) there's one part where she explains one reason the french are so distant, even with each other.
She says they put so much importance on friendship and they take it as a serious, lifelong commitment and therefore they are very choosy about who their friends are. That many of them do not make friends past the age of mid twenties because of this, and how loyal they are once they do make that commitment, etc. Now, they are still polite and make friendly conversation but to actually take on someone as a friend means commitment, love, respect, keeping each other accountable, learning to argue without disrespecting each other, etc and it's for life. 

And you know what? The more I think about that the more I think I would rather have it this way. I'd rather know where I stand with people (am I just an aquantance, really a friend, just another homeschool mom, etc) than have this putting on airs and people dropping me at the moment they don't agree with me or it get's difficult, or I'm in a bad place and they don't have time to deal. I'd rather have the snotty up front and honesty of it.
I'd rather know that those whom are my friends are REALLY that. Friends.
Is that weird?

See. I'm growing so tired of how selfish most people in America are, or at least Texas and Oklahoma...although I'm pretty sure it's not just the states I live in. ;) 
We are lonely, yet we refuse to invest in others and love them thru the good and bad. 
We are bored, yet we say we are "too busy" to really make time to connect with others. 
So many excuses and the truth is, we are selfish. 
It takes time to invest in others. 
It takes grace to forgive their faults. 
It takes honesty to open yourself up to closeness. 
It takes hurt to hear things that might step on your toes, and love to change or accept. 
It takes so much more. More than we are either to selfish or scared to give. 
But ah how our lives would be so enriched if we simply lived through the rough times in order to get to the memories in the making. To the good times, the funny times, the learning times. 

So I sit. Still praying for like minded women in my life. Waiting for those who are willing to risk it like me. But I am not alone. I have my wonderful amazing best friend of a husband, and two beautiful boys. We are worth it. And others will think that too, when God brings them into our lives. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you Deanna! I consider you my real friend, and we certainly have gotten past some hurt in our friendship (I think anyhow). I love you and I am glad I have you in my life to hold me accountable and help me grow. I hope I can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and I consider you mine as well. :)

    ReplyDelete