Friday, July 6, 2012

It's a process

Ok so I'm giving up sugar. But with everything in my life, lessons, attitudes, etc it's a process. I WAS going to do it for 30 days starting off the bat but honestly it's too much for me.
I learn slowly...because I'm stubborn, obviously.
And I honestly don't know whether this is an excuse I have myself believing or not but I don't think it would be good for me because of my circumstances.
See, at the moment my thyroid is changing from hyper to hypo but at this moment, I'm considered at a "normal" level..although there's nothing "normal" about my body/side effects/weight gain/ hair loss/etc. And if I get stressed out my hormones will go out of whack even more quickly and it will not be good for me emotionally, mentally, or physically. Being that I'm an emotional eater, and have issues this makes it worse.
So here's what I'm NOT going to do.

I'm NOT going to:
-Stress out if I have a bad day
-Have self hating thoughts if I make a bad decision
-Get totally frustrated if I can't figure out how to eat both Gluten Free and Sugar Free
-Make too many excuses
-Guilt myself as long as every day makes improvements
-Say No to people, If my great Aunt offers me pie or ice cream I'm so not making her feel uncomfortable, because in my family food=love.

Things I am working on not eating: 
-Processed Refined Sugar
-No White or Wheat Bread
-No White or Wheat Flour (cept the occasional tortilla)
-No Cookies
-No Cokes
-No Coffee
-No White or Wheat Pasta

Now, being that I also try to eat as little Gluten as possible having no sugar at all is very difficult. I'm not all for making things difficult on myself as possible. 

Things I allow:
-Low fat whole wheat tortillas (do you KNOW how hard it is to find lunch things?!)
-Potatoes in small portions, and mostly red
-Salad Dressing/sauces- I'm not going to worry if I'm at a restaurant whether my salad dressing has sugar in it-I'm doing good to have salad so get over it. 
-Weight watchers Oatmeal (I already have this, breakfast is also hard with no gluten or sugar), it has a bit of sugar in it but once I finish this pack I'll just buy plain and put honey in it.
-Honey & Fruit (natural forms of sugar are good, God gave us these)
-Gluten Free Pasta OK
-Gum (I rarely chew it but when meeting with ppl, and ppl like me for that. Trust me)
-Tea (sweetened with honey or other natural sweetener)

This list may change. But, if I have a list then I don't make excuses or allowances that shouldn't be made.

What will I do when in the pit of withdrawals? I will read: my bible, pray, read Lysa Terkhurst "Made to Crave". But one reason for taking sugar out slowly and just making better decisions cuts out many of the withdrawals. The hardest part will be in my head and continuing to make changes that means less sugar to eventually no sugar.

What is my motto when making decisions?
I will say "Is it beneficial to me?" Just because it's allowed and not necessarily a sin to eat doesn't mean it benefits my body or self in any way.
Pray for me?
Pray for my husband!


2 comments:

  1. Hey there! Our family is grain-free and sugar-free, too (we're also processed food-free, legume-free, vegetable oil-free, and pork-free). I struggled to figure out what to cook, with out making the same things over and over. That is until I found the Grain Free Meal Plan over at healthhomehappy.com. I just thought I'd share this resource with you. My family has been enjoying it for the last 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That website is great! I'll be looking at it more.

    ReplyDelete