Monday, July 23, 2012

Patching update. End of July going great!

So Patching Charlie is going great. He is so willing and ready to do what he has to do and he does it with such a wonderful attitude! This child inspires me and all those around him. 
There was only one time when he struggled just a tiny bit. What was it? Glad you asked. 

He was at the end of the patching time and we were headed to a birthday party, but we had to stop and get a present first. Well, I knew he'd be done by the time we got to the party but not quite for the store. So he kept asking "momma, am I done?" and then showed signed of getting a lil upset. For an APD child these signs can be different and at different times as well. One of the main ones is him repeating a question and getting more irritated with each repeat. It's because he can't process and explain his feelings and so he gets more frustrated when the answer is the same and he can't tell me why he's worried, scared, upset, embarrassed, etc. 
I'd like to tell you that I catch it most of the time but the truth is I'm about half and half. Some days we go full blow up before I realize what's going on. However, I was more sensitive since I knew it was the first time he'd go into public with a patch on and this is, afterall, my sensitive child. When asked if he was embarrassed or worried for anyone to see him he shook his head yes in fury. And I tried the "cool pirate" thing but for some reason this upset him too. He kept saying "I'm NOT a pirate, I'm Charlie (using his real name of course"...and I think it's because he just wants to be accepted as he is (more on this later). So I switched tactics and showed him my crutches I was getting out of the back and had to use to go in the store. I told him that we all had our faults and problems and right now he and I BOTH had problems that other ppl could see but that it was ok and didn't mean either of us should be embarrased by it because it means we are dealing with our problems and taking care of them. He smiled and on we went. I think he was pleased just to know he wasn't alone. Thus one of the main frustrations for APD and Visual Processing problem children and parents...there's not much support out there. 


The most frustrating and proud moment for me thus far were actually ONE moment, about the same time. We were inside the store and a lady asked Charlie why he was wearing the patch. He stood up straight, looked her straight in the eye, and clearly said "I'm doing visual therapy", then gave a shy smile. 
This moment. This is my proudest moment lately of my son and it brings me to tears just writing it. My shy guy who I usually have to guide to speaking with adults did this on his own, without me guiding him. Why? Because he's proud of himself for doing what he needs to do. He's not afraid to admit his faults, and he faced them in the eyes of a stranger unashamedly. He knows what he needs to do and he's doing it, willingly, and without complaint. 
How many adults do you know that do this? Not me. But my son sure could teach me a lesson in it, I know that much. 


But then my most frustrating moment came. She replied "did you get your eyes dialated at the eye doctor"?? 
Say wha?? When's the last time you saw someone with an eye patch and the other eye open without those weird sunglasses on??!! PLUS!! He TOLD her why he had it on. 
I understand she may not have known what he was talking about or what "visual therapy" is. I get that for sure. But, why would she just assume based on her own limited understanding of eye problems and not listen to him? I would have rather she asked him what that was than say that because it deflated my son. His shoulders dropped and he looked at me like "what? didn't she hear me"?? 
How many times do we do this as adults?? Lean on our own limited understanding and never ask or care to learn more. 


I could learn from this experience and learn to be unassuming when it comes to another's faults. But more on that later. 

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Troy will not patch in public, and there have been some times where we have tried. Hence why there is usually a patch in my purse. Way to go Charlie!

    I am sorry people are so insensitive. Why couldn't she respond with "Wow, you're such a responsible young man to be doing your visual therapy" (even if she didn't know exactly what it was).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog and have to say I really enjoyed reading it, it was very inspirational! I love the way you explained to Charlie how you shouldn't be embarrased and how you are working on your problems. Great job on your part and on Charlie's.

    I understand how insensitive people can be with things that they just don't understand, my daughter always got stares and even finger pointing while wearing her patch in public and the thing is it wasn't even from children it was adults.

    I just started blogging my experiences, just in case your intrested, my daughter has exotropia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Isaandmax83! I got your blog off your google account and look forward to reading it! Glad you like this blog, it's sort of a spot for all our family happenings...and it just so happens that my lil family has our share of health issues we are dealing with right now.

    ReplyDelete