Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Graves-Momma Update Aug 2012

So today I had my first Doctor appt outside of the Cherokee Nation. This was a much awaited appt. Let's do a quick recap of the last year shall we?!
June 2011-Taken off all thyroid meds. DANGER ZONE but needed for radiation. Decide to move to Oklahoma because they told me I wouldn't get approved for radiation without being here with the CN (Cherokee Nation).
Sept 1-Moved to OK, began more appropriate treatment...or so I thought.
November 2011- Got approved for Uptake and Scan pre radiation of the thyroid.
Dec 2011-Got results that uptake was abnormal and needed an ultrasound to see if I had goiters/nodules and whether they might be cancerous or not.
March 2012-yes, you read that right. In MARCH I finally got results back that yes my goiter had grown and I had also developed several nodules around the Thyroid but they were less than 1 cm therefore most likely non cancerous.
BUT!!!
By March my thyroid levels had changed so much so that if I got radiation there was a great chance it wouldn't take. I was heading hypo and gaining weight because of this.
Since then I gained 40 lbs. Just so you know. Because it's important you remember how much this is affecting me.

The Cherokee Nation healthcare was supposed to save my life. It didn't. I am thankful still. But, it REALLY didn't. Like losing all my muscle tone, gaining more weight, not getting any sleep, having no immune system, dislocating my knee, hip, and ankle amongst oh so many other issues.
However, I chose to believe that God simply chose the grass to be greener on the other side of the fence not because the greener grass was actually green..but because there was another option and hopefully the real fix.
This, please pray that this, is the fix God always had planned.

So I saw her today. The new Dr. I brought all my records (of course the only records I could actually get from the CN is patient notes and not the actual lab results as I should have gotten but this doesn't surprise me).
She was knowledgeable, patient, and listened well.
She wanted LOTS of bloodwork done, and an ultrasound done to check my goiter/nodules.
She said that, no, I'm not a candidate for radiation because my eyes pop out enough that radiation might actually make it worse and therefore she won't consider it. This is good because I have since decided that I do not want radiation as the chance of getting cancer in your stomach, intestines, or throat within 6 years after is extreme.
So that's out.
She is checking all my thyroid hormones, also for Hashimotos Disease, as well as seliac disease. These last two are possible because of all the other issues pertaining Gut that have appeared in the last year. So not going there.
She said that if the ultrasound showed any nodules over 2 cm that she would want to do a biopsy.
So. During our appt her nurse was scheduling me for an ultrasound downstairs.
I was able to go directly there after the appt. thank goodness. Radiology and Lab are in the basement of the building. Remember this. I'm going to make a point.
So the Ultrasound Tech was so friendly and did happen to tell me I had nodules over 2 cm.
This is the scary news. Still unlikely it is cancer but the Dr is going to want to do a biopsy on them.

sigh

So I wait for the blood results. And I wait for the ultrasound results and the phone call scheduling a biopsy where they will put needles in my throat while I watch.
oh joy.
After that, and given the chance to review all the paperwork I brought in the Dr will make her recommendations.

Oh yeah, the point I was going to make.

I found it ironic that the ultrasound and the Lab was in the basement. After the SIX VIALS of blood they took I waited in front of the elevator and a little voice inside me said "Nowhere to go but up".
And it hit me.
Nowhere to go but up. Please Lord PLEASE let this be truth for my life, my family, my purpose while here.





No comments:

Post a Comment