Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A call to action-Social Media

There are some days when I'll talk about God and the things we are called too. These days will most likely be serious days, but they are so important so stick with me. Through the serious AND the funny and you just might learn something about me, the overcoming Momma. 


Too many times we, as Christians, talk the talk. But, do we really walk the walk? 


Our family has been convicted in the past few years to watch what our eyes see and ears hear. 
Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
Job 31:1 I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God


And it really hit us the verses about God's name and how sovereign HIS name/HE is. 
Exodus 20:7 You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold guiltless anyone who takes his name in vain. 
DEUT 5:11 You must not make use of the name of the Lord your God for worthless purposes, for the Lord will not exonerate anyone who abuses his name that way.


His name is:
     Salvation
(1) Salvation is through His name (John 1:12).
Believing
(2) Believers are to gather in His name (Matt. 18:20).
Prayer
(3) Prayer is to be made in His name (John 14:13-14).
Serving
(4) The servant of the Lord who bears the name of Christ will be hated (Matt. 10:22).
Worship
(5) The book of Acts makes frequent mention of worship, service, and suffering in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 4:18; 5:28, 41; 10:43; 19:17).
Confession
(6) It is at the name of Jesus that every knee will one day bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (Phil. 2:10-11).


Therefore we decided that we would not watch movies that profained his name. We just do not feel like that is OK being that we are supposed to be serving this amazing and wonderful God of all creation and yet taking his name lightly, or in vain. 
It makes our available movie list much less, I admit. And sometimes it is frustrating not being able to watch these movies that everyone else loves and is raving about. Me being a movie junky from birth makes it even more difficult. Did you know that my all time FAVORITE movie ever is Splash?! I was watching it and pretending I was a mermaid in my neighbor's pool at FOUR YEARS OLD. But you know what? I cannot watch it, and that makes me sad that there has to be vulgar language in a good movie. 
But, you know what?! He didn't say it was going to be easy when it came to dealing with worldy matters 
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
AND, he didn't say we could act like the world either. 
Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

So, just for those that will be offended at this post let me point a few things out. Does the fact that we do not watch movies with a "GD" in them make us better than you? No. It doesn't. 
Do we think we are higher in HIS calling or doing things right? I can assure you we are not in everything we do. So many things we struggle with and sin in. 

This is just a conviction for US, that we feel necessary to maintain HIS HOLY name in only reverence and not non-challantly. 

But I will take it one step further and risk some people getting upset in this way. 
I CHALLENGE YOU. 
I challenge you to look at what the WORD has to say about it, and I challenge you to pray about whether you should also take out those movies in your family. Just try it, see if your ears get a little more sensitive the next time you hear it after you haven't heard it in a while. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment