Monday, May 7, 2012

Living to Defeat

I learn so much daily from my boys. They are such a blessing, and even on the hard days I wouldn't trade it for the world. They teach me to forgive, to love, to have grace, to love, to laugh, to be silly, to pretend, and most of all..to never give up.
Fall 2011 we entered a new school and with a new curriculum. In this new new curriculum my boy was behind. So, we decided it would frustrate him less if we didn't push it and "technically" took him back to 1st grade (he was supposed to enter 2nd). By mid year he was almost done with 1st grade, and we began catching up and learning what he'd missed in 2nd. His teacher saw the opportunity to get him on track and so she did. She sent homework home almost every night (in a school where there's no homework) and my Boy worked hard. We asked him prior to this if this is what he wanted, to graduate the year from 2nd and be ready for 3rd. We explained that it was going to mean twice the work and twice and difficult on him. He cheerfully said "YES"! and so we did.
He got tired. He got frustrated. Some days we both pulled our hair out but before long he was caught up. And now he's completely on track and ready for 3rd grade. In Bob Jones Curriculum I might add (the math and reading is more advanced than some others out there).
Now, why all the bragging? Big deal, you say?
The big deal is that two weeks ago we found out that during all this time not only did he have the APD where he was having trouble processing instructions, seeing dyslexic at time, etc...but he was also blind in one eye. Not only did catch up, never give up, and SUCCEED...but this child did so with Audio AND Visual difficulties.

No, I don't think my son is the Helen Keller of this age. But credit is deserved for his efforts and I'm giving it where it's due. And by the way, when we read the story of Helen Keller's teacher in his school book, I was sure to ask him if he thought God had an amazing plan for his own life as well. He assured me that "yes, Momma, God does". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment