Wednesday, June 13, 2012

One crazy year

It's been ONE YEAR since our lives changed drastically.

One year ago we owned our home in Midland, TX and I was a popular Wedding Photographer that was too busy to see straight, much less homeschool my children with the intensity they deserved. Scott was employed at a company that he'd been at for over 5 years and was very comfortable there. We had my beautiful Honda Odyssey and his Explorer that was great at getting him the 3 blocks to work and back. He came home every day for lunch and things were good. My family and friends were around us (although most often we took them for granted), and we yearned for rain in the parched land we lived in.
One year ago my doctor told me there just wasn't anything he could do to help my Graves Disease other than what he'd been doing (he wasn't an endocrinologist and treated me with meds out of the goodness of his heart as my OBGYN). One year ago we knew I was going downhill in my health and we found out that my great-grandmother had a Dawes Roll # with the Cherokee Nation as she was full blood Cherokee. One year ago we found out I might be able to get help with the Cherokee Nation but it would take me moving to Oklahoma (health insurance was, at the time, $1500 a month for me and still did not cover my pre-existing conditions). One year ago I looked my husband in the eye and told him what the nurse said and laughed as he answered "OK, let's see what we can do".
Yeah right....oh poor Mama of little faith I was! 
Within 2 weeks he had a job offer in Oklahoma City and our world went into a tailspin. By the end of June 2011 all my clients had been notified that I would no longer be accepting new weddings. I let my brides know I would still be here to shoot their weddings, not to fear with the news! We put our house on the market, and my husband was moving to OKC to begin his new job while I stayed, shot 9 weddings, took care of our boys, and sold the house. Ummm WHAT was I thinking?!

By the end of the summer to say I was stressed to the max is like saying a nuclear bomb is a bit of a thud.
 I. LOST. IT. 
It was not pretty. And I regret my main meltdown (although there were a few smaller ones) because of those whom it affected. Even though it was, in part, in reaction to things that deserved me being upset over it still shouldn't have happened and I should have made better choices. I wasn't the only one who melted I have to tell you. My husband did not do well without us either. There is something about him being with us that keeps him calm, easy going, and peaceful. When he's not, he's almost a different person. He will not make that choice again to be without us for 3 months. Luckily in Sept we sold our sweet house, and headed out to OKC to a new life.
The house we'd rented was on 2 acres in Guthrie and really pretty. However it had black mold and we had to move out because the landlord would not take care of it. Our 2nd house was in Edmond in the city. We missed the country but the house was bigger and nicer. We would've liked to live in the country, but our new landlords were AWESOME and the house was a huge blessing.
My children went to a private school that was really a group homeschool that was amazing and really awesome for us. We loved this school and I was very involved. We met amazing friends and enjoyed our time in Edmond.

After the first of the year, getting healthcare through the cherokee nation proved way more difficult than we'd hoped. It just wasn't happening, and only because the process and paperwork took so long that by the time I actually got into the appts my thyroid levels would change. I was driving 2 hours one way once a week trying to get this settled.
In the meantime a company in Tulsa had contacted Scott and asked for an interview. He thought it would be better if we were in Tulsa to get medical care. I was not so willing this time, we'd been SO blessed in Edmond/OKC. I didn't want to leave, I must admit.
But, leave we did and moved to Broken Arrow.
There isn't a school like the one we went too in Edmond, so we've decided to homeschool and I've set out in trying to find a Co-op and/or support groups. This has been difficult. For some odd reason it's been hard making friends here. I'm not out and about as much as I was in Edmond, so I know that's one reason. Hopefully we will meet more people as time goes by. I know it takes time, it's just hard for a people person like me. :) We are now back out in the country, but only a half acre this time. This is a great amount of space for us though! We love it. It's so beautiful and green here! We've seen more rain than in the last 3 years together out West. And I've taken a break with my photography business and am working on putting my family first and only. It's hard when you associate yourself as one thing and then change. At times I haven't known what to do with myself to be honest. But I'm getting better at just BEING with my boys, and this gives me peace, and peace is good.
Since the 3rd move we've also found out about Charlie Brown's eye problems and needing therapy. And I've been off medications for a year now by Dr's orders. NOT GOOD.

In a nutshell:
In the past year we've-
sold a house
moved over 300 miles away
lived 3 months without a husband (NO thank you!)
moved 3 times
went from homeschooling to private school to homeschooling again
went from being a busy photographer to notta to being ok with notta
found out about Charlie Brown's strabismic amblyopia and started therapy
been off my medication for 1 year only to see my levels begin to turn HYPO thyroid now
still not get proper medical treatment, but have been richly blessed in other areas
made friends, moved from friends, to no friends but hoping to get to know more soon
lost a precious 12 year old cat
sold my Honda Odyssey to pay for visual therapy
had a HUGE pay increase from Midland, TX (Thank you Adonai!!)
been learning Cherokee Syllabry/language
rearranged our priorities
found peace
and God has blessed us so much through it all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment